“Depression is a prison where you are both the suffering prisoner and the cruel jailer.”DOROTHY ROWE
I feel empty all day. Can’t say what I experience. A riddle is a poem that describes something without actually naming what it is, leaving the reader to guess. People depressed describe the experience in different ways. These are some clues to riddle, If 5 out of 9 symptoms are present take support from a trained psychiatrist or psychologist.
1.Depressed mood or irritable most of the day, nearly everyday, subjective (e.g., feels sad or empty) or observation made by others (e.g., appears tearful).
2. Decreased interest in most activities, most of each day.
3. Significant weight change(5%) or change in appetite.
4. Change in sleep : Insomnia or hypersomnia
5. Change in activity: Psychomotor agitation or retardation
6. Fatigue or loss of energy
7. Guilt/worthlessness:Feels of worthless /inappropriate guilt.(Related post ballad of guilt)
8. Concentration: diminished ability to think or concentrate.
9. Suicidality : passive thoughts of suicide or has suicid plan. Read more about youth sucidal tendencies here.
Download the Becks depression inventory here to assess depression.
Reference :Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5)
Himali Kelvekar, Student of English literature with a minor in communication, media and Psychology at christ university, Bangalore with a on-ground work experience in content writing ,editing,designing and public relations.
Sahil Takshak A student of Delhi University. Writing is my first love. Passionate about fitness, travelling, human psychology, cooking, politics, music, movies and books.