Today is world suicide prevention day. If one thinks that suicide is something that happens to farmers in vidharbha(parts of India). You will have to rethink looking at the growing numbers of youth suicide. The best way to prevent suicide is to look for patterns and be aware about these thoughts and feelings if you can recognise in others. This year's theme is 'Suicide Prevention: Reach Out and Save a Life'
Parents say the suicide was a sudden attempt, but these patterns are commonly seen
1) Loneliness, aggression, irritation, restlessness, aloof, despair, meaninglessness
2) Physical and sexual abuse/Mental or physical disorder
3) Sudden calmness, social disconnection.
4) Gives away favourite collection to others like books, CDs cloths. Talks about suicide, regrets and inferiority.
5) Earlier attempts of suicide.
6) Change in patterns of eating, sleeping / thinking chaos
Less concentration & focus.
7) Inclination towards self-harm, fast driving, drug abuse.
Also look for the symptoms of depression in post riddle of Dispair.
Reference #Autopsy of a Suicidal Mind- Edwin S. Shneidman
Himali Kelvekar, Student of English literature with a minor in communication, media and Psychology at christ university, Bangalore with a on-ground work experience in content writing ,editing,designing and public relations.
Sahil Takshak A student of Delhi University. Writing is my first love. Passionate about fitness, travelling, human psychology, cooking, politics, music, movies and books.